Roasted Eggplant and Red Pepper Dip - Melitzanosalata
This dip is a fresh and brightly flavored cousin of the Lebanese version, baba ganoush. It is sure to be a favorite. Serve with raw vegetables, crackers, pita or even just a spoon! The secret to this recipe is to blend a spoonful of the roasted eggplant and red peppers into the dressing!
- 2 medium to large eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 4T The Furies EVOO, plus a little extra to brush on eggplants and peppers
- 2T parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce eggplants all over with a fork and rub with a small bit of EVOO, leave whole
- Rub red peppers with small bit of EVOO, leave whole
- Place eggplants and peppers on preheated grill (approximately 450'), and roast with the lid closed over medium/low flames for 15 min. Turn vegetables regularly to blacken and roast all sides. Eggplants will deflate and be soft to the touch when ready. Peppers will be lightly charred on all sides.
- Remove from heat. Place peppers in a bowl and cover for 10 minutes to loosen skin. Eggplants should also rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise and spoon out softened centers, discarding the peel. Wrap it in a towel and squeeze as much liquid as possible from pulp (it is bitter). Cut eggplant so that it is smooth and doesn't have lumps. I do not recommend blending.
- Gently remove pepper peel with a knife. Cut in half and remove all seeds. Dice into small cubes.
- Stir together eggplant, red peppers, and parsley and set aside
- Emulsify in blender: EVOO, apple cider vinegar and garlic until smooth. Spoon approximately a tablespoon of eggplant and peppers into dressing and blend again until smooth.
- Pour dressing over eggplant mixture and mix well. Fold in feta if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. This dip improves with a little time, so pop it in the refrigerator for a few hours if possible.