Shrimp salad makes for an elegant summer luncheon. Capers and fresh basil, blended into a lemony yogurt dressing give delicately flavored shrimp a tangy fresh dressing. At the last minute, I decided to throw in a few blueberries and grapes. Feel free to add any seasonal fruit to your salad. Your salad bed is your choice too. This time, I used arugula, often I make this salad with soft bib lettuce. Did you know that capers are actually pickled flower buds? The caper bush, also called a Flinders Rose, are native to the Mediterranean.
- 1lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2T capers
- 3T fresh basil, chopped
- 2T plain Greek yogurt
- 2T fresh lemon juice
- 1T The Furies EVOO
- dash of salt and pepper
- Heirloom tomatoes, halved
- blueberries & grapes
- To cook shrimp, bring a sauce pan of water to a boil. Add shrimp and boil for approximately 2-3 minutes until shrimp turns pink and is opaque. Remove from heat and immediately cool in an ice bath or cold water. Dry and chop into 1/2" chunks.
- Mix shrimp, chopped vegetables, capers, and basil in a bowl.
- To make dressing, stir together EVOO, yogurt, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold dressing into shrimp and vegetables.
- Spoon shrimp salad onto bed of greens, decorate with tomatoes and fruit.